View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #17
scooper
College Benchwarmer

We have a Charbroil propane grill, it's not the greatest, but anyway, I used it a lot. Somebody bought us a good sized portable charcoal grill (Aussie Walkabout) as a gift for when we camp, tailgate, etc. Last spring I ran out of gas one night and pulled out the charcoal grill for the first time. I loved it. Food tastes much better on charcoal and it's easier to cook it thouroughly without burning it, but that me be because my gas grill is not the greatest. I never used my gas grill the rest of the year.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when we hosted a large cookout. I had burgers, chicken and some pork loin chops. With the amount we had to cook, I decided to finally get some propane and use both grills-opting to cook the chops over charcoal with some apple wood chips for a subtle smoked flavor. Anyway, turns out the gas grill's knobs now leak and we had flames outside of the grill and I had to cook for 20 people on my little Aussie charcoal grill. I host this cookout every year and the comments were this was the best food ever. Now I have a full tank of propane and a leaking grill that I may or may not fix.

The moral of this long boring story is-if anybody is not sold on gas and has 15 extra minutes per meal, the flavor of charcoal grilling is much much better. But for Jon, from past experience, go with a Weber for a gas grill. That's what my parents always had and I loved to cook on it. The only reason I don't have one for my own is cost. I have a hard time convincing my wife sometimes that you get what you pay for.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote