View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 07:43 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes
I even made every high-school hockey team in Minnesota... out of cardboard ...

I'm loving it ... "cardboard fillers", or as I called them "placeholders" were a big part of the baseball card component of my homemade 2d6 game. I recall quite fondly at the moment how tough it was figuring out which rookies would get "carded" into the rosters of my various teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholes
I love how a lot of us complain about realism in sports games but grew up playing games like these and loving them.

I'm not sure that we didn't have more realism our way than some of today's games -- after all, we had complete control over them as kids, if something didn't fit "reality", who among us didn't occasionally ... ahem ... "alter" the results. It's amazing how many re-rolls became neccessary sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator
We had these stickers where several grew on a stalk. During spring and summer I would take my football and create a football game where I would throw the ball forward and catch it. If a sticker got in my sock, I was tackled. If two stickers got me, it was incomplete. If no stickers got me, I zig zagged through the mine field until one stuck me.

I didn't have much room, nor did I have stickers. But the fallen leaves in part of my grandparents yard were would-be tacklers for several college football seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymac
This probably didn't count, but I used to try to sim an entire baseball season by thowing a tennis ball against the steps of my house.

AFAIC, if you were having fun & it was generating sports results in the process ... IT COUNTS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymac
... but the ball kept hopping the fence and landing in the neighbor's pool.

Umm ... what did she look like?
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote