View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - Manufactured competitions (reflections on a youth without computers)

Since so many of us are fans of the text sim genre (I hope that's still trtue around here, at least), I suspect there will be plenty of things to contributwe to this theme.

I love competitions. Leagues, win/loss records, scores, stats, standings, championships, halls of fame, all that stuff. Playing computer football games and other sports sims is a great way to drop yourself into that environment, which we all love. No surprise.

Now, a lot of us grew up before computers were everywhere - but still had these passions. I know friends who played Bowl Bound for years on end, keeping detailed records of every game, and others who played Strat-o-Matic baseball for seasons on end. All fine and good.

I'm interested in even one level lower than that. Did anyone out there just sort of "invent" your own kind of competitions, just as a way of generating the stuff we love -- winners and losers, standings, records, stats, and so forth? Sports or otherwise, built on an actual game or not... what sort of stuff did you come up with, as a manifestation of your love of structured competitions?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote