View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 10:08 AM   #40
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

The Super Bowl
Al Coble RB Cincinnati 14-3 vs. Percy Buchanan QB Washington 14-3

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the 2017 Super Bowl festivities. Were are here at a sold out FedExField where the Redskins will host the Cincinnati Bengals in the greatest sporting event in the world. 78,000 people have crammed their way into the stadium and are looking forward to seeing one of the most exciting showdowns in years. The talk all week has been about how Al Coble, perhaps the greatest player in league history, will be facing off against Percy Buchanan. These two guys were in the same recruiting class way back in 2001. They were two of the most sought after players in the nation. Since that time, Al Coble rocketed to superstar status, and has now begun the certain decline that comes with age. Percy on the other hand has just continued to get better each year, and he is just reaching his peak. Percy still has 3 or 4 great years ahead of him.

The Bengals are here as the NFL’s defending Champions, having won it all last year. Washington returns to the big game having won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls. So both these teams have recent experience and there is no clear favorite. With this being his 7th Super Bowl appearance, no one has been the game as many times as Al Coble. But if Percy wins today, he will equal the number of championships that Al Coble has won.

We were able to catch up with the two stars before the game.

Brian Weidemann: “Percy, Brian Weidemann, FOX/ABC/MSN Sports, Washington has built quite a dynasty for themselves, losing just 9 games (including post season games) in the past 4 seasons. How important has your role been in that process?

Percy: Well I would say that I have been very instrumental in the process, but I believe that that is a tribute to the coaching and management more than it is to my abilities. They saw my strengths and weaknesses and they build a team around me to highlight my strengths while minimalizing my weaknesses.

Brian: What would you say is your biggest weakness, and how has the team overcome that?

Percy: It is definitely trying to convert on third down, but we have such a great team of people around me who are so good at getting that third down yardage, that it has negated my weakness entirely.

Brian: Last year Washington had a moderate decline. They dropped 5 games, and yet they fell just shy of the Super Bowl. Many blamed the decline on Glenn Hutchens. This year Hutchens was benched and Louis Mount had a fabulous season. Do you think that benching Hutchens was the right thing to do?

Percy: That is a tough question. Hutchens is a great guy and we get along very well. But he did struggle last year. And it is hard to question the decision to start Mount considering what a great season he had. I just wonder if it could have been handled a bit better. The whole situation left some bitter feelings on many different sides. I would love to see Glenn play again, and I really think that he can continue to succeed, but I don’t think that he will be given the chance to here. Management and he are just way too far off.

Brian: This year everyone is saying that you are the odds on favorite to win the MVP. What is your take on that?

Percy: Well I would be lying if I said that I didn’t care. I have had some simply amazing seasons that have been overshadowed by even more amazing seasons by Al Coble and Marty Gage. I do think though that it is time for someone else to win the award besides those two. I don’t think anyone else has won it in over 10 years. I feel like this will elevate my career and give me a real shot at the Hall of Fame.

Brian: Well thanks for your time Percy, I wish you all the best in today’s game. Now back to you Scott

Scott: We have Willie Westergrin now down on the Cincinnati sideline with Al Coble. Let’s go down to Willie

Al: …s all comes down to playing the best ball you can play, every down for 60 minutes. Whoever does that best will be the winner.

Willie: So what is it, do you think that Cincinnati has that will get them past the Redskins.

Al: I see this as a rather unique game. Most game, I go in with one of two mentalities, We are the better team, so we should win, or this team is better than us, so here what we need to do to upset them. But this week, I just see two great teams squaring off and no one knows who is going to win. This is what the Super Bowl is all about.

Willie: Any hints about your future?

Al: I really haven’t thought much about it. I spent the last couple of off seasons in East Kalimantan and then in Coté I’vore, and I could see myself heading overseas as a missionary. I will be completing the ordination process sometime next month, so perhaps I will become just a pastor in a little country church. Who knows.

Willie: Well we wish you all the best on your endeavors and in this game. Back to you Scott

Scott: So there you have it. We are just moments away from the next Super Bowl.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote