View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #236
TLK
Pro Starter

ESPN.com news services

Two teams who have competed in the Indy Racing League since it began eight years ago cannot afford to race in this month's Indianapolis 500, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Those teams -- PDM Racing and Hemelgarn Racing -- have not found sponsors or raced yet this season, but news that they will not even run at Indy makes filling a 33-car field more difficult. Neither team has missed the Indy 500 since the IRL's inception.

According to the Star, PDM Racing has closed up shop and is for sale. The team launched IRL star Sam Hornish Jr.'s career eight years ago.

As for Hemelgarn, the newspaper reported the 1996 Indy 500-winning team (with Buddy Lazier) is without sponsor and looking at alternatives that could include the rival Champ Car series. (Added in by TLK: Please no.... stay away Mr. Hemelgarn, even though from what I hear, it will happen)

Buddy Lazier won the 1996 Indy 500 with Hemelgarn Racing; they also won the IRL title in 2000.

"If you can't do Indy, it's really difficult to fill in just for the other IRL races," Hemelgarn general manager Lee Kunzman said. "We're in the racing business, so if I want to keep my (crew), I've got to find a place for them to race.

"What I'm looking for is survival."

Those who contend the cost to run a car in the IRL has gone too high will see this as another example of a smaller race team being priced out of competition. While engine lease costs are not divulged by the league or its engine manufacturers, media reports have put the cost anywhere between $350,000 and $500,000 for one race.

Lazier won the 2000 IRL season championship with Hemelgarn, but was released at last season's end and is still seeking a ride for the 500. Lazier has four top five finishes in the Indy 500 for the highest average finish in the race since the IRL formed.

Hemelgarn Racing, which formed in 1984, will continue to run driver Paul Dana in the IRL's Infiniti Pro Series, according to the Star.

Last edited by TLK : 05-06-2004 at 07:56 AM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote