View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
From my most reviews I've heard, DSL is not as fast as Cable Modem. Is this true or just propaganda?

Define fast.

DSL has better ping times, cable has better maximum bandwidth. For downloading files and just plain web browsing bandwidth is better. For online gaming, ping is far more important, as little bits of data need to get places fast.

Also, with cable, you share that bandwidth with your neighbors. If everyone on a block has cable, and go surfing at the same time it slows for all of them. Not so with DSL, your line has a maximum banwidth (which will likly be much less than cable's) but you can usually count on having that much.

I have had DSL for four about years, and never had a problem with speed. Any speed issues I have are almost always a result of everyone else trying to download the same file as me (fof2004) and thus limited by the server, not my connection. I can generally download a 100MB file in 10 mins or so. Page loads are rarely more than 5 seconds, even for graphically intense pages, and when they are (*cough ESPN.com*) they are on slow servers.

In short, you'll probably never notice the difference (like you would say, gaming online with satellite). Of course, these are generalities, and some of what I am saying may not be true in your locality.