View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #477
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Various thoughts:

- Ottawa: It's the same old story every year with these guys. They lose, they can't understand why, but the core always stays the same. I think that changes this year. Martin is as good as fired. Lalime and Bonk are obviously out. But I think this may finally be the year that they move one of the core guys, like Redden or Havlat. They need to do it. It's obvious that this team is way too comfortable.

- Toronto/Philly: This is going to be a tough, tough matchup for the Leafs. They're so beaten up, and the Flyers are so physical, that it could be tough to watch. The Flyers will be like sharks with blood in the water. The Sens talked a big game about going to the net and causing traffic, but the Flyers know how to actually do it. Tough, tough matchup for the Leafs. Even if they can win it somehow, will there be anyone left for round three?

- Tucker: Yes, the act wears thin. But this guy is hurt, and hurt bad. Pierre McGuire was one the radio up here a few days ago and said that wouldn't reveal the injuries, but he said that when the playoffs are over and everyone realizes what Tucker's playing through they'll be amazed he's even on the ice.

- "They just got beat by a goaltender": I'm tired of hearing this. Yes, Ottawa ran into a hot goalie. Just like they do every year. Just like they did all those years when Toronto had Cujo. Guess what? Top goalies don't just appear out of thin air. The Leafs have made a decision as an organization going back a decade to make sure they always have a top goalie. They've had four goalies in 14 years: Fuhr, Potvin, Joseph, Belfour. Three hall-of-famers and a guy who played like one for a few years. That's not an accident. They paid a big price for most of those guys through trade or FA, but Toronto obviously believes that no price is too high for a goaltender. Ottawa, meanwhile, believes that if you build an excellent team-based defensive system then a good second-tier goalie is good enough. Lalime, Tugnett, Rhodes, Barasso. Same story every year. And last night we got yet another lesson in how "good enough" works out for you.