View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #474
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Reflections on my first round projections and highlights and lowlights of said projections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
My Picks:

#1 Tampa Bay vs. #8 N.Y. Islanders
Tampa Bay in 5.

Even though I am not sold on Tampa, they have a solid blue line, plenty of talent upfront, and the Buhlin wall between the pipes. I don't even know who is starting in net for the Islanders. 'Nuff said.

#2 Boston vs. #7 Montreal
Montreal in 7.

I don't think Big Joe will make an appearance in this series, if he does, he may be limited in action. I also have a gut feeling that Theodore is going to play very well and steal this one for the Habs. He's their only hope really, because Montreal can't match up with Boston talentwise.

#3 Philadelphia vs. #6 New Jersey
New Jersey in 5.

If I had to pick one "sure thing", I think this series would be it. Philly has all sorts of trouble in goal, Esche starting is one example. They are Philly. They are playing Brodeur. Even without Stevens, I don't see the Devils losing this one.

#4 Toronto vs. #5 Ottawa
Toronot in 7.

That being said, even without Owen Nolan I like the Leafs with Leetch and McCabe along the blue-line and Eddie the Eagle in net. I think Lalime is a fine goalie, but he's no Belfour.

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Nashville
Detroit in 5.

That being said, I cannot and will not predict a first round collapse against Nashville, Steve Sullivan be damned!

#2 San Jose vs. #7 St. Louis
St. Louis in 6.

I'll go with the Blues on this one, I have no idea why.

#3 Vancouver vs. #6 Calgary
Calgary in 7.

I think Iginla will be on fire, Kiprusoff will keep the puck out of the net and Calgary will win it's first series since Karim was knee-high to a grasshopper.

#4 Colorado vs. #5 Dallas
Dallas in 6.

I like the additions of Gratton and Barnaby (especially Barnaby), but you always have to be wary whenever a team makes so many moves at the deadline. It rarely works in their favor (unless they get some ridiculous deal involving Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson). Dallas played very well down the stretch, especially Billy Guerin and Marty Turco. Speaking of Turco, the Avs go into the playoff with Abeschire in net. He's been solid all season, but he's yet one more goalie who has no play-off experience. He could crack under the pressure. The edge between the pipes has to go to Dallas. Between that and Colorado's injury problems up front, I am going with the Stars.

Ok. I was very proud of the fact that each series I predicted to go 7 games did and the team I picked to win did. That was nice. Especially the dead-on Iginla on fire, Kipper saving the world thing.

That whole Philly-New Jersey thing... Um... Uh... Well... I live in freaking Belgium! What do you want from my life??

The St. Louis pick I blame on the people here. I felt bad for Primer and Mizzou. I wanted the Blues to win for them. Emotion got in the way there...

Dallas and Colorado. See that whole emotion explanation above. I was blinded by hatred.

I must think on Round 2 some more...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote