View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #235
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
The Blues gotta get some scorers too. A different goalie would help, indeed (believe me, I know about Osgood). But, any goalie shouldn't be expected to win 1 goal games. Especially those like game 1.

No argument here, but this has been a pattern for the Blues for several years now. Year after year they head into the playoffs with an inferior goalie and because of it have virtually no shot of winning a cup.

Granted they tried to get better by getting Turek and he just flopped. It seemed like the right idea because he was stellar in his first regual season with the Blues, but he is just does not play well under pressure. They let Dwayne Roloson go. They tried Johnson who is without question talented and has the perfect build for a goalie, but always had a very poor work ethic and always had lapses in his mechanics. Then they went to Osgood!

I realize top notch goalies aren't just floating around, but they could have tried harder to get Hasek the first time. They probably could have had them if they wouldn't have signed Weight and would have been willing to give him the 2 year deal he wanted. They could have tried to go after Khabibulin, Cechmanek, Belfour, Kiprusoff etc. Goalies have been available and they haven't made a serious play for any of them. Did I mention they had Dwayne Roloson and never even gave him a shot????

So there is no question that they need to add scoring. I think their first order of business needs to be to get a goalie though. Once that is taken care of they can start focusing on everything else, but unless you are going to be able to put a team together like the 97 and 98 Wings then you just aren't going to win a cup with Osgood in goal.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote