View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #28
mmarra82
High School Varsity

New linebacker Navies signs on with Jets

Posted on Wed, Mar. 19, 2003

New linebacker Navies signs on with Jets

Associated Press

Hempstead, NY - Shedding blocks is what linebackers like Hannibal Navies are paid to do.

And while Navies is at it, the newest New York Jet plans to shed an injury label which drove down his price as an unrestricted free agent.

Navies, who signed a three-year deal Tuesday with the Jets reportedly worth $3 million, including a $500,000 signing bonus, can play all three linebacker positions.

The only problem is that the projected replacement for aging Mo Lewis has been nicked-up for much of his four-year NFL career.

Navies said he is confident not only that his injury-plagued days are over, but that he can play effectively in the middle even though most of his professional experience is at outside linebacker.

"I have no doubt I can stay healthy," said Navies Wednesday in a conference call from his home in Charlotte, N.C. "It's been a couple of tough breaks the last couple years, but it's not been anything major."

"I don't think it will be an issue for me to stay healthy."

The 6-2, 240-pound Navies has missed 26 of a possible 64 regular-season games since entering the league as Carolina's fourth-round pick in 1999, including 16 the past two seasons.

Navies started nine of the 11 games he played in last season as the Panthers' strong side linebacker and recorded 45 tackles, 25 solo, with no sacks before sitting out the final five games with a high ankle sprain.

He started Carolina's first five games of 2001, but was sidelined the last 11 with a broken forearm.

Navies was healthy the entire 2000 season, playing in 13 games as a backup, but missed the first seven games of his rookie season with a knee injury.

He was healthy and highly productive during his collegiate career at Colorado, where he was a two-year starter and finished with 180 solo tackles, eighth-best in Buffaloes' history.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote