View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #78
Buddy Grant
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco
So what do you listen to?
Pretty varied tastes, I listen to pop music from tin pan alley era up to modern radio/dance (turn of century to current), various jazz (mostly older like big band up to 70's Tower of Power), reggae/ska (60's to current), punk (from 60's garage to 70's iggy/dolls/clash to 80's Husker du to 90's Bad Religion to current acts), Soul/R&B (1950's-1970's only), funk (60's and 70's), blues & folk (all types & era's from Robert Johnson to Seeger to JD Crowe to current), rap (least familiar style but Public Enemy used to be a fave), country (classic if you will - George Jones, Cash, etc. basically pre 1980 country), classical (only a small group of fave composers), and rock (from rockabilly to big hair). There are many musical genre's listed that can fall under the pop music catch all, and I'd consider some forms not listed (like electronic) covered by the big pop banner. I did not start the thread so I am not trying to pick a fight with Joel fans, but beyond those I would dismiss outright from any consideration at all (like NSYNC) Billy Joel would be on the near bottom of my list of musical artists. The biggest problem I have with Joel is not the crappy music, it's the fact his popularity pushed that style of piano playing into rock/pop music for a period of time, a period of time that was very influential in my music tastes. To this day I don't care for keyboards in rock/pop music unless it's Alan Price, Jerry Lee, Manzarek, etc.. I never liked Elton John either, and although he has written some of my most disliked tunes of all time (like "I'm Still Standing") I think he generally wrote much better material than Joel. Maybe it's Joel's habit of trying to incorporate his classical music roots into his piano pop, but whatever it is, I want it turned down... NOW!

Buddy Grant is offline   Reply With Quote