View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #22
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think where we disagree isn't in the general case, but on the existence of exceptions to this "rule".

It's not unusual for one of the "power conferences" to have a down year.
The ACC goes through it, the Pac-10 has gone through it, the Big East has gone through it, I believe it's at least arguable that the Big 12 may be going through one right now.

At the same time, it's possible for a "mid-major conference" to have an up year, where they have not just the typical one deserving team, but 2 or sometimes even 3.

And in those years, when those circumstances collide, I believe the mid-majors are more deserving of a bid or two than a team who wouldn't get a look except for their conference affiliation.

We're not all that far apart I don't think, it's just an odd situation where I'm the guy who doesn't believe in absolutes about something

I guess my problem is when conferences have dominating teams outside of their conference but then parity inside of it. Oklahoma is a perfect example this year of a team that clobbered out of conference opponents but then has trouble with a conference that is very strong from team 1 to team 10. Nebraska, Colorado, and Iowa State may not show up on the national radar, but are about impossible road games to win. Now Mizzou doesn't fit this mold this year, they were beaten by a lot of teams outside of the confernce, but as a whole the big 12 is one of the best. (IMO) They just happen to all beat up on each other. (I think the same thing happens in football) Instead of having 3-4 really good teams that kill everybody there are 1-2 really good teams, 4-5 good teams, and 2-3 teams that can win on any given night.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote