View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 08:03 AM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Actually, regular season best they could be is 17-10. And 16-11 looks more likely to me than 17-10. While even that looks like it might be good for 4th place this year but I don't believe for a second that makes them clearly better than teams like Gonzaga (23-2), ETSU (24-4), Murray State (23-5), SIU (23-2), Western Michigan (20-3), Kent (20-3), Manhattan (21-4), Utah State (22-2), or Boston Univ. (21-4).

Every one of those teams could lose in their conference tournament (just as much as MU could win the Big 12 tourney).

I'm as much a defender of the power conferences getting bids as anybody but I don't believe Mizzou & the Big 12 (this year) is exactly the most compelling argument I've seen for power conferences over mid-majors.

I say they wipe the floor with any of the teams otuside Gonzaga. They barely lost in overtime at Gonzaga earlier in the year. (And they are playing about 50x better right now)

I do agree the big 12 is down and also that Mizzou is really grasping at straws if they don't win out and at least make some noise in their conference tourney, but I am really getting tired of hearing about the mid-majors. (Of which I don't consider Gonzaga to be one)

So nobody will schedule them? Well they should wipe the floor with the scrubs in their conference tournament anyways or their conference should send the regular season champ and not have a conference tournament. Sorry but the big twelve (or SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big East, etc.) deserves 4-5 teams before any of the smaller conferences get two in.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote