View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

tucker - I'd agree. At this point, I don't think Missouri deserves it, and this is comin' from a die-hard Missouri fan. Would I still root for them if they made it? Of course. But I don't think, based on what they've shown so far, that they deserve an at-large. Win out in the regular season and make some noise in the Big XII tourney, and I may change my tune, but right now, I gotta go with 'no' on that, even though in my heart I'd still love to see them there.

As for who might come out of the Big 12, well...I gotta say I'm damned impressed with the run Nebraska has had lately. They thumped Kansas, took Oklahoma State to the limit before losing by four, lost by two to Texas and Oklahoma, split a pair with Missouri, creamed Texas Tech tonight...they've got a 5-8 record in conference play, but a couple breaks the other way, and they could very easily be 8-5, or even 9-4. To be 2-2 against the top four teams in the conference and have those two losses be by a combined six points is absolutely astonishing from that squad. They've got a chance to make that 3-2 if they can beat Kansas again on Wednesday, and they also have chances to avenge earlier losses to Iowa State and Colorado. If they run the table - and with Kansas in their way, that's not a certain thing, especially in Lawrence - and win a game or two in the Big XII tournament, I'd almost rather see them get the at-large ahead of Missouri.

I say 'almost,' because the Missouri fan in me won't let me actually root for something like that to occur, but I see a team that, if they get the chance, could bust some brackets in March when I look at Nebraska.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote