View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 09:24 AM   #489
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Carolina kicker sends the ball deep into the endzone, but WR Grier takes the ball out; anxious to run with the ball in his hands. He's dropped at the UT 13...not a wise move.

We come out trying to get the ball to Grier as well, and we plan to throw a deep ball to him. Plan. I'm sacked from the blind side by two defenders who came from the outside. A loss of 7.

Fortunately, the Carolina defense gets a little too riled up, and I get them to jump offsides before the play and get five of the yards back. Greene then takes a handoff up the middle for 2, setting up a 3rd and 10. Once again I look for Grier deep, and this time I find him. He makes the catch, his first of the season and gains 23 yards on the play.

We call time out, and I head to the sideline. The coaches apparently want to let me have some fun and I'll be throwing the ball from here on out. Let the games begin.

Two passes to WR Harrison fall incomplete, but I find Greene in the flat who takes the short reception and turns it into a 17 yard first down. Ball on the Carolina 47, with 43 seconds left in the game.

Two more incomplete passes to Harrison, and we call time out.

At this time, the UT crowd, all 104,000+, are on their feet. Back onto the field comes J.B. Brewster, and it appears he'll get the final play of the season at Neyland Stadium.

Fitting, I might add.

"Power I right, split left, 21, on 1, on 1. Ready, break!" We break the huddle and I stop and pause to look around.

Never again will I see this setting as a player. I need to soak in the moment.

I step up under center, and scan the defense one last time. I watch the play clock tick down. I'm going to miss this field.

"Set, hike!"

The players seem to move in slow motion. I turn and pass Prescott and Jordan, and hand the ball off to Brewster. I don't bother with the fake. I turn and watch J.B. run up the field.

Sophomore guard Washington helps open up a hole to the right side, and J.B. runs through it. He gains 19 before getting tackled, and the horn sounds indicating the end of the game.

It's over for us here in Knoxville, but we have unfinished business.

We just won the SEC East! We'll be playing the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta before moving on to our bowl game. I'd like to say that we're playing in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship, but we have to win our Conference game first.

I'm mugged by reporters, fans, teammates, and coaches. I'm speechless, and I head to the locker room for the final time at Neyland. This is a dream come true.

Final. Tennessee 53, South Carolina 22.