View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #423
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Georgia's drive is short lived as they tried to isolate MLB Mitch Briggs on a back out of the backfield down the sideline.

The play worked, in theory. Briggs was out there, man to man. However, as many of you know, Briggs is a intercepting machine at MLB, and he picks the ball of at the UT32. The back brings him down immediately.

First down, Tennessee! 13:38 left in the 3rd. Ball on the UT32.

J.B. Brewster explodes into the 2nd half, with a 21 yard gain on the first play from scrimmage over left guard. We run play action on 2nd down, and it doesn't work. I end up scrambling for 2 yards on the play. Brewster gains 6 on a pitch left, setting up a 3rd and 2 at the Georgia 39.

"Looks like a good place to run an option," I think to myself, and indeed, that is the call. Option left, and the pitch to Brewster gets us 6 yards and a first down.

More power football, but Georgia stops this one, and Brewster is taken down for a yard loss. An option to the left doesn't do much better, as Brewster nets a yard. 3rd and 10, and we try a play action pass to Castleberry. He's gimpy but open, but I'm rushed and the pass sails ahead of him.

4th and 10, ball on the Georgia 33. A look to the sideline. We're given the green light. We'll stay on the field. Everett comes in for Kolodzik, and we'll go with two split ends. Dropback pass with both receivers trying to curl at the marker. I look to Everett, but he's double covered, and I turn to throw to Castleberry. Unfortunately, I was slow in my delivery and a defender was able to bat the ball away.

The ball goes over on downs. Dang it.

9:53 left in the 3rd; Tennessee 30, Georgia 0.