View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #405
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We come out from the locker room and jog out to our sideline, where we meet with the team captains. We've won the toss, and of course, elected to receive. J.B. Brewster and Keith Grier head out to take the kick off. We're about to get rolling.

The Bulldog kicker sends the ball to the 5 yard line, and Brewster takes off like he has a purpose. He gains 36 yards before a safety finally drops him. 1st and 10, UT at their own 41!

Brewster remains on the field; but he already knows what play we'll call. We had talked about it before the game.

I turn to the rest of the team and call, "Power I right, split right, option right on 2, on 2". We head out to our positions and I let Brewster know we're going right when I get to him.

Georgia's defense is in a 34 look, and we had a lot of trouble with that last time. This could be a long day for the Vols.

Breathe in, breathe out. OK. Let's go. I take the snap, and head right. We block the end, but the OLB comes crashing down on me. Automatic pitch. Brewster takes the pitch and scampers upfield where the LB shoulda, woulda been, and gains 18 yards on the play.

First down! That wasn't too hard, was it? The huddle is full of excitement, but Brewster silences the talk as I get the play from the sideline. I turn back to the huddle and say,

"Power I left, split right, 28 toss on 1, on 1, ready, break!"

With that we head out to our assignments. Brewster is going to take a pitch to the left side. I take the snap, he takes the pitch. TE Thomas Kolodzik pinches down on the OLB, and a gaping hole appears. A corner comes up to fill, but Brewster breaks his tackle with ease. He's finally dragged down by a safety 13 yards downfield.

Two plays, two first downs! Ball on the Georgia 28. The crowd has lost it's momentum.

We go back to the option right, but this time the defense is ready for it. I pitch to Brewster late, and he gains only a yard alongside the sideline. On 2nd down, we go with a play action pass, and I look for WR Terry Castleberry on a post pattern, he's wide open and I feed him the ball. He makes the catch at the 18, and he's not brought down until he gets to the 3 yard line!

First down, Tennessee! The small Tennessee crowd erupts in cheers! We're in the Orange Zone!

We call option right for the third time in 5 plays, and it works like a charm. Georgia stretches out the play, and a late pitch sends J.B. Brewster diving over the right sideline pylon. Referee's call: TOUCHDOWN!!!

TOUCHDOWN, TENNESSEE!! K Ray Alston adds the extra point, and the crowd is stunned.

11:49 left in the 1st; Tennessee 7, Georgia 0.