View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #401
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Other games in the SEC:

#14 Florida (6-2, 5-1) @ Vanderbilt (3-6, 1-5).

Kentucky (1-8, 0-6) @ South Carolina (3-5, 1-5).

#24 Alabama (5-3, 3-3) @ Central Florida (2-7).

Troy State (2-7) @ Mississippi State (4-5, 3-4).

The SEC East is a dogfight, as it usually is. Tennessee is undefeated in conference play (6-0), with Georgia and Florida (both 5-1 in conference) close behind. All other SEC East teams have been eliminated.

Should Georgia win today, they would have to travel to Florida and beat the Gators. Today's match is big for the Bulldogs. If they should win, they'll have a bigger battle in Gainesville.

A loss today would put three teams in a tie, with two of the teams finishing with one loss (assuming, as I am, that we can beat South Carolina next week) at the end of the season. If it's UT and Florida, I'd assume we would with the East. If it's UT and Georgia, I'd assume Georgia wins the East.

That said, it's a must win for either team. No wonder ESPN is here.

The SEC West is that much more complicated. Just two weeks ago it appeared Arkansas was going to run away with it. Two SEC losses later, they're second behind Auburn.

Auburn is 5-1 in conference play but has to play Arkansas at home and Alabama on the road.

Arkansas is 4-2, and has to travel to fight for the top spot in the SEC West next week. The week after isn't a cake walk either, as LSU comes to town to visit the Hogs.

LSU is also 4-2 in conference, hosting an eliminated MSU team and then traveling to Arkansas.

Alabama is still alive, but likely won't be for long. A loss to Ole Miss next week or a victory by Auburn eliminates the Tide; much less the season finale against Auburn in Tuscaloosa.

I'm very happy with the level of competition in the SEC. We've done a good job of beating up on each other for the season. So far, we've managed to stay undefeated. I hope we stay that way today.

Last edited by Poli : 02-09-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote