View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #194
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Okay Yabanci, you got me, I did not know a US Oil Company was talking with the Taliban back in 1997, but I'll take your word on it. I will also get on the phone and ask President Clinton why we were dealing with the Taliban back in '97. I am pretty sure Clinton didn't quite know what the Taliban were all about in '97 other than "just another extreme Islamic fundamental group". As for the terrorist that were being harboured, was Bin Laden even in Afghanistan in '97 or was he still running around Somalia and other parts of that region then? Can't remember. What was Clinton's policy on Afghanistan other than not recognizing the Government (an international viewpoint)?

But the bottom line remains, is building up the infrastructure of Afghanistan with US companies making a profit really that evil? Are there other oil companies out there that do this kind of work for free? I guess I just don't get the connection between US companies overseas and George Bush as evil, but any connections between US companies overseas and say....Bill Clinton as good.

FYI - here is a link to the story on the Taleban's visit, originally published in the London Telegraph. http://www.mideastfacts.com/oilbaron...tlbn_1997.html

Bin Laden was expelled from Sudan in 1996 at the urging of the US and Saudi governments and he returned to Afghanistan, which was (mostly) under Taleban rule. It was also in 1996 that bin Laden declared jihad on United States forces and was indicted for being involved in the training of people involved in the 1993 attacks on US forces in Somolia. Clinton was fully aware of who the Taleban were and their invovlement with bin Laden. Clinton's policy in Afghanistan was similar to Bush's: stability in order to build the pipeline.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote