View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 03:46 PM   #174
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
The last time I checked, Afghanistan doesn't have huge oil reserves.

A specious argument, in my opinion. Clearly Afghanistan was attacked because it harbored terrorists, not because of concern over its governmental style. I support our attack against Afghanistan.

Quote:
Based on your statement, we should invoke military action in a large portion of countries around the world, including China, since brutal dictatorships are far more common than democracies.

I'm not sure what part of my post you're getting this from. The government is the one that has been justifying its actions in Iraq as removing a brutal dictator. I wouldn't support using that same standard carried out around the world, we already have plenty of work to do in the war against terrorism. We have a long history with Iraq, and various baggage from the previous war, possible WMDs, national interest in the country's oil, etc. Saying that this war is simply to remove a brutal dictator insults the intelligence of the American people. The government should be clear and honest about its reasons for doing things.

Quote:
The current focus is on stamping out countries that actively support terrorist attacks against the US. I don't believe Pakistan meets that objective.

Many would argue Iraq is simply a sideshow taking us away from our "focus."
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote