Week 1 Results
--------------
Iowa 29, LOUISIANA-MONROE 23
Purdue 7, FRESNO STATE 24
Southern Mississippi 17, MICHIGAN STATE 41
New Mexico State 6, #7 NORTHWESTERN 31
Sitka 20, PENN STATE 13

Time Setting

I tampered with the settings for every player, bumping academic time for those who I felt needed it. I take a proactive approach with coaching blocks. I don't want to use my coaching blocks for academic bail-outs, so if anything, I err on the side of too much study time. I then select 5-8 players to spend my coaching blocks on throughout the year. I feel a combination of playing time and coaching blocks help players rapidly improve. I'll leave myself 10-15 time blocks for academic bailouts in the 4th part of the semester.

Recruiting

We used our visits on players from Indiana and Ohio, and used our phone calls on the top 100. I can't say for sure how productive a week this was, as we offered no scholarships.

---------------------
Week 2 Review

Indiana Hoosiers (0-0) at Rutgers Scarlet Knights (0-1)

coaches poll: Indiana #36, Rutgers #90
the betting man says: Indiana by 5
attendance: 8,300 (41,500), hilarious!
weather: 61 degrees and rainy
TV coverage: none

the game

We received the opening kickoff, but looked completely shaky on offense. A couple penalties eventuall did us in, and we punted it away. Rutgers would go three and out and punt back to us. Contiuing to look nervous, QB Devin Spellman was intercepted on our next drive! Rutgers returned it to our 34 yard line, and did just enough to grab a field goal and a 3-0 lead. The game would remain 3-0 heading into the seocnd quarter.

Our offense finally had something going early in the second, when again, a barrage of mistakes set us back. Pushed back by a 14 yard penalty and 8 yard sack, our drive stalled at the Rutgers 39 yard line. Going for it on 4th and 8, Devin Spellman was intercepted a second time. Rutgers punted the ball back to us, and the follies continued. After a first down and some actual pass completions, Devin Spellman was intercepted a 3rd time, and the inerception was take to our 24 yard line. Rutgers plowed through the defensive line, and on 6 straight runs gained the 24 yards and a touchdown. At 10-0, this game was turning out nothing like I had expected.

A nice kickoff return placed us at our 35 yard line. B.J. Konrad burst up the middle for a 19 yard gain on first down... but he fumbled! Rutgers recovered at their own 45, and again were in business. A 10 yard run on first down moved them past the 50. On the very net play they went deep for a 45 yard touchdown pass! Rutgers would take a 17-0 lead into the half, and needless to say, I was stunned!

Laying into our players at halftime, I wondered aloud what the hell we were doing out there? We were playing like a pee-wee team, and making Rutgers look like a powerhouse. Even against such a pitiful squad, I thought 17 points might be too much to overcome.

Kicking off to start the second half, it was in our Defense's hands to get this game headed in the right direction. Forcing Rutgers 3 and out, we felt a surge of hope as we took over at our own 38. RB B.J. Konrad ground out 14 yards on 3 plays, and then QB Devin Spellman hit WR J.B. Blades for a 48 yard touchdown! 17-7.

Rutgers managed a few first downs on their next posession. While they didn't score, they were starting to eat away at the clock. With 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, we got the ball back at our 38 yard line. This drive was again sparked by a huge play. On our first play from scrimmage Devin Spellman found WR Russell Sailer for 51 yards! B.J. Konrad would then be stuffed on 3 straight runs though, and we kicked a field goal. 17-10.

Rutgers ran out the rest of the 3rd quarter before punting again. Our next drive was the most balanced yet. Spellman hit Russel Sailer for 20 yards on a huge 3rd down and 20, keeping the drive alive. Some tough running by B.J. Konrad then earned us 3 first downs. Another Spellman completion to Jimmy Parr for 21 yards. B.J. Konrad took it in from 4 yards and the game was tied! 17-17.

With 4 minutes to go, we regained posession at our own 18 yard line. B.J. Konrad plowed right up the middle for 41 yards! Devin Spellman immediately hit Jimmy Parr for 22 more. Spellman then found FB Charles Lyle for another 17. Spellman found Lyle again for the touchdown! 24-17!

After a ridiculous first half, we escaped with the victory!

Final Score: Indiana 24, Rutgers 17

Player of the Week Nominees
B.J. Konrad - 33 carries, 193 yards, 1 touchdown

Injury Report
clean bill of health!

Recruiting

We contact a lot more players, giving special attention to Illinois this week. We offer a scholarship to QB Kurt Vallery, the #2 QB in the nation, and DT Vince Amaya. We'll probably look to hand out two more scholarship offers next week.

QB Kurt Vallery - #2 QB, #2 player nationally. scouted 99-
6'1" 193 lbs from Suffolk, VA. Considered a bit of a finesse passer, the short passing game is his strengh. I don't see why he couldn't excel in a 'west coast style' pro set offense. Through 5 games: 62% completion, 1723 yards, 7 TD, 1 INT. 18 rushes, 140 yards, 3 touchdowns.

DT Vince Amaya - #16 DT, #195 player nationally. scouted 93+
6'4" 244 lbs from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. While his strenth is run defense, he looks to be a pretty solid all-around player. With his size, he could be a real force in the middle. Through 5 games: 57 tackles, 3.5 sacks.

Week 2 Results
--------------
Indiana 24, RUTGERS 17
Duke 27, OHIO STATE 30
Illinois 10, TEXAS CHRISTIAN 38
Purdue 31, UNLV 30
Iowa State 44, #21 IOWA 14
Missouri 20, #15 MICHIGAN STATE 41
#24 Army 0, #16 WISCONSIN 35
Central Michigan 28, #2 NORTHWESTERN 31

A shocking blowout by Iowa State over Iowa is great news. Also, Northwestern almost had more than they could handle in Central Michigan.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-05-2003 at 08:36 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote