View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #363
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Brewster fields the kick about 6 yards deep and brings the ball out. It was a mistake; he's taken down at the UT16.

There's an injury on the field, however. Oh no, it's #95, TE Dominic Witt, seeing his first action since he injured his back in our 5th game. It looks bad; I hope he's ok. We weren't counting on him to start, but his depth would have been nice.

"Power I left, Split left, double fade. On 1, on 1", and we head to the field. We hope to surprise the Tide with a deep ball on 1st down.

Alabama shows us a 50 defense, but we expected that. I take the snap and drop back, screams of pass come from everywhere, and I'm reminded I'm playing my first road game in four weeks. WR Steven Everett appears open and I lob the ball in his direction. Everett goes up for the ball and makes the catch. He's tackled immediately, and the play goes for a gain of 19.

"Power I left, split right, 28 toss, on 1, on 1, ready break!" The huddle breaks and we run toss left. Brewster is stopped for no gain, however.

Back to the air. Play action style.

"Power I left, split right, 228 toss, fly. On 1, on 1, ready, break!" We come out and fake the toss, complete with pulling guard. Brewster is tackled, and then screams erupt of pass.

I come out of the fake toss, hunched over and now reveal the ball in my hands as I have bootlegged to the right. No pressure on me, and no one relatively close to Everett, I lob the ball and let him run under it. He's tackled 8 yards after the catch, but it goes for a gain of 40 yards!!

1st down, TENNESSEE!! Ball on the Tide 25 yard line.

Brewster goes off left guard for 2, and then takes another pitch left for 5. 3rd and 3, and my slant pass to Everett is tipped away.

4th and 3 on the Tide 18; kicker Ray Alston and the FG team come out. It'll be a 35 yard attempt, and Alston nails it.

11:19 left in the 1st; Tennessee 3, Alabama 0.