View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #89
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Going back to jobs, my favorite survey (and one I think is very meaningful) is the Business Climate Survey. This more than anything shows the importance of how a good business climate can attract real sustainable jobs (as oppose to federal govt pork jobs). From Forbes, here's the introduction for the 2003 results

Quote:
To reflect the changing times, we changed the way we compile our ranking of Best Places For Business And Careers, turning to analysts at Economy.com, the West Chester, Pa.-based economic and financial research firm. In this, our fifth annual survey, we still kept a careful eye on income and job growth. But we also gave special attention to the cost-of-doing-business, which includes the prices of labor, energy, taxes and office space [my emphasis]. We looked closely at the qualifications of the available pool of labor. For the first time our rankings also characterized the attractiveness of a region by figuring in crime rates, housing costs and net migration.

If you are interested in the results by metro area, go here.

Many of the metro areas of the Southeast are high on the list, a definite improvement when similar rankings were published in the 1980s and 1990s. This is what needs to be encouraged by local officials, State politicians and federal policy makers - creating a good business climate to attract entrepreneurs and companies, thus creating higher paying jobs. In many cases, I would argue, it involves the State and Feds getting out of the way (e.g., reducing taxes, reducing regulations) and encouraging shifts away from union-dependent, increasingly obsolete or outdated companies (take a look at the metro areas on the bottom of the list).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote