View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Price is already paying dividends. UTEP only has ten schollies to give this year, but the people he's getting are much more talented than just about any other class we've ever had. The star of the class is Marcus Thomas, who was a high school all-american two years ago and signed with Arizona, but couldn't make the grades and never went there. He was a four star recruit coming out of high school, and that might possibly be the first four star football recruit that UTEP has ever signed...

Thomas Coming To UTEP
Arizona Recruit Changes Mind

Tuesday, February 03, 2004 -- One year ago Marcus Thomas signed with Arizona. On Wednesday, he will become the star of Mike Price's first recruiting class at UTEP.

News Channel 9 has learned the star from Tolleson High outside Phoenix will sign with the Miners.

"I took a trip to UTEP expecting nothing and was just blown away. The coach, the facilities, the school, just blew me away," said Thomas.

"I could have taken a trip to USC, they called last weekend, but after coming back from UTEP I knew it was right."

Thomas origionally signed with Arizona in 2003 but did not make grades and never entered school. He passed his SAT last summer and will have four years at UTEP.

"Me and Coach Stoops (Arizona Coach) just never got right. After the change in coaches it just never got right."

Thomas, 6-0 185, was an all state running back in Arizona and a Parade All American, rushing for 3573 yards and scoring 46 touchdowns his senior season. He rushed for 5,878 yards during his four years at Tolleson but is expected to play wide receiver at UTEP.

"They told me I would be a wide receiver and it's cool."

UTEP has 8 to 9 scholarships available but may sign up to 13 players on Wednesday. It will be up to Coach Price to sort out the paper work.

No signing is official until the paper work is received but a list of tentative UTEP signees follows:

UTEP Football Recruits

Marcus Thomas--receiver
Chris Day--quarterback
Roger Fontenette--running back
Tyler Ebell--running back
Taber Minner--running back
Brandon Jackson--running back
Andre Bailey--corner back j.c.
James Delgardo--corner back j.c.
Tyler Ribitzki--lineman
Jamar Hunt--tight end

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO