View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #425
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Brashear went for a second round pick, I believe. Keep in mind the Sens will finish in the top five of the league, so you're looking at a #25 at the lowest.

Now, given that the Sens are the favorite to win the Cup this year but have now been exposed as possibly lacking the toughness to do it, do you pay the steep price? If landing Laraque gives you a better chance to win the Cup, you do it. Don't worry about some first rounder who won't play for five years. You have a window now.

Remember, Muckler dealt a first rounder for Smolinksi last year. Right now the Sens need an enforcer a lot more than they need yet another talented, soft forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
A Scott Parker type would come cheaper and still get the job done, I reckon.
I'm not sure he would get the job done. The bottom line is that the Sens have played like a team that's scared of Tie Domi. Twice in two years, Domi has gone after one of their players and nobody has done a thing. Neil won't go near him. Hnidy did, and got hammered. And because of that, the rest of the Leafs play a little bigger. They know their big dog is bigger than the other teams', so they run around.

Compare that to how the Leafs play against the Flyers. Domi has a tough time against Brashear, so he can't run around without being held accountable. The rest of the Leafs don't either. It sounds like caveman thinking, but sometimes that's the way it works.

So the question is: can the Sens get a guy who'll put Domi in his place? Laraque could. Simon probably still could. Parker is a maybe. Some minor leaguer won't. Rob Ray last year definetely couldn't.