View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #332
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Commodore O goes 3 and out. The punt is a very nice 43 yard punt that sends Brewster scrambling back to the UT 31 yard line, where he calls a fair catch.

1st and 10, UT; 6:28 left in the 3rd.

Brewster runs off left guard for 4 on 1st down, and gets 5 on 2nd down as well. However, a holding call sends us back; 2nd and 16 now from the UT25.

FB Willie Jordan goes in motion, and it creates some confusion amongst the defense. The fake to Brewster sucks in the linebackers, and the lob over the middle to Jordan nets 10 yards. At least it's a more manageable 3rd and 6.

Option right is the call, and Vanderbilt strings us out. I'm forced to pitch and Brewster finds a hole. He darts upfield for a gain of 23 yards.

FIRST DOWN, TENNESSEE! The ball now resting on the Vandy 42.

Back to the play action, and I look for Kolodzik over the middle. I get the pass to him but it's dropped, and a flag comes in. Defensive pass interference. All right! Another 1st, and we're at the 32 now. The defense gives us another 5 when they jump offside before the next play, and we didn't even use a long count.

The ball now on the 27, we send Brewster in motion towards Everett. He cuts back to the middle of the field on a slant, and I find him open underneath the coverage. He's stopped after a total gain of 10 yards, 1st and 10 at the 17 yard line.

Brewster goes up the middle twice, once for 3, the next time for 5. 3rd and 2 at the 9, and the play action up the middle works like a charm. Kolodzik slides across the field unnoticed, and my floating pass falls into his hands. He scores with no Commodore remotely close to him.

TOUCHDOWN, TENNESSEE!

Alston adds the XP, and life is good in Knoxville.

2:50 left in the 3rd; UT 31, Vandy 0.