View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #266
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The crowd is electric as the kick sails down to the UT 3 yard line into the hands of our best player, J.B. Brewster.

Brewster races upfield but is upended at the 16. Wow. The Ole Miss tackler must have slipped through a breakdown on the blocking scheme.

"Power I right, split right, option right, on 1, on 1." With that we head to the line of scrimmage.

It seems teams will do anything to try and confuse me now. Ole Miss has lined up in a 34 defense. This is the first time I have been faced with it. I don't know how our first play will look against this look.

I take the snap and read the end. He races upfield to the back. GOOD! I start to turn upfield and I get smacked. I didn't even see it. A blitzing ILB nailed me for a two yard loss and the crowd gets quiet quickly.

WR Terry Castleberry comes in with the next play, a fade route and he's the primary receiver. A lob to Castleberry appears to be way off as Castleberry didn't get past the line of scrimmage, but a flag is dropped near Castleberry.

Defensive holding is the call. 10 yards, repeat 2nd down.

WHAT??? Fulmer goes nuts. That's an automatic 1st down, and I'm certain he's right, but I believe the penalty is 5 yards. Regardless there is confusion, but the referees ignore our pleadings. Obviously, I'll take the penalty yards, and let the officials know we'll take the penalty. BS.

2nd and 2 at the 24, and I find Brandon Mason in the flat. He turns the short reception into 7 yards and a first down.

Brewster returns to the field and we run option right again. This time there's no blitz and I'm able to pitch to Brewster. J.B. goes up the sideline for 9 yards. 2nd and 1 and we hand off to Brewster. He runs off right guard for 4 and the 1st down.

1st and 10 at the UT44. We send Brewster up the middle, but he gains just 1 yard. We probe the left tackle area, but Brewster gets just a yard there as well. 3rd and 8, and we send Brewster in motion. Typically this results in a pass to the halfback, and today is no different. However, the safety covering Brewster tips the ball away, and the punt team comes onto the field.

I shake my head in disbelief. Ole Miss isn't supposed to be that good. What the heck happened?

Punter Daniel Wheeler sends a 42 yard punt down to the Ole Miss 12, where the returner calls a fair catch.

And we begin talking to the offensive coordinator about what went wrong. Let's get some discussion going about this freaking 34 defense, please.

10:50 left in the 1st quarter, no score.

Last edited by Poli : 01-30-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote