View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #50
dan_garlick
n00b

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Fair enough.

First of all, I mentioned you were either a Democrat or anti-Bush because you were willing to push a monumental gesture for the troops out the back window like it was a gimic that our commander in chief is not allowed to do. I personally have no beef with anyone who chooses to vote Democratic or doesn't care for GW Bush.

However, as a member of the military, scoffing at the President for doing his job because you aren't a Republican is BS. I never considered a trip by President Clinton to the troops BS. While I did consider his failure to render a return salute to his Marine Corp Guard a little disrespectful, it wasn't because he was a Democrat!

When I was serving in Turkey (at a geographically seperated site), our small contingent was routinely visited by our commanding officer who was stationed in Germany. Did it serve any physical tangent purpose? No. Did it make us feel a little better about what we were doing to know the boss gave a damn about us to come and visit us for Thanksgiving or for Christmas? Of course it did. When Colin Powell would visit, he made sure to gather the American government community together just to say, "Thanks." Is that some bullshit show also?

My boss now puts a lot of time in spending the holidays with his troops. Is it required? No. Is it a nice gesture to let us know he cares? I think so.

President Bush made a huge decision to put hundreds of thousands of troops in harms way. Hundreds have died, and more will die. Would we all feel better if, at the end of the day, he didn't stop by and show his gratitude?

I'd be pissed, and I don't care what Michael Moore says.

Thanks Dutch for explaining your point more I agree with most of what you are saying.I also think that the things Clinton did or rather didn't do were wrong as well.Anyways I agree if a leader shows genuine concern for his troops whether military or civilian it is useful and can serve to boost morale.I was just wondering on the true motive of the actions as I did at the time of Clinton's gestures.I think it is the duty of all those wearing the uniform to try to remain neutral or at least fair when it comes to these types of political discussions.I apologize if my comments were disrespectful or inappropriate to you.Have a good one .Thanks.

Last edited by dan_garlick : 01-29-2004 at 12:04 AM.
dan_garlick is offline   Reply With Quote