View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #216
Poli
FOFC Survivor

On the sideline during the TV timeout and while Florida has the ball, we discuss what went on during that drive. Florida appeared to lose concentration after stopping us at the line of scrimmage. Both times Florida held us at the line we had big gains. Two penalties; one a huge 15 yard automatic first down. All told we ran five plays. Not a bad drive for 80 yards.

I'm called to the sideline as Florida gets set to punt. The punt is a low line drive and Billmaier watches the ball roll out of bounds at the UT44 with 10:46 left in the first quarter.

Figuring the Florida defense expects a run on first down, we go for another play action pass. Again off the dive fake, this time without the reverse action. Florida is again caught flat footed, and I hit Kolodzik over the middle. He's finally tackled at the Florida 29.

"Where's this guy been all season?" I wonder as we head up to the huddle. Wow.

Option left is the call from the sideline, but Florida strings us out and Brewster eventually is stopped at the line of scrimmage.

Out goes Brewster, and in comes Mason. Play call? Quick slant to the SE Everett. He makes the catch and gains 8 more yards; tackled at the 18. Unfortunately, Mason limps off the field.

Another option left, and this time I'm forced to keep. I tuck my head down and get 2 yards before getting whacked by an outside linebacker.

That's two plays without getting Brewster the ball. Time to give it to him again. I don't like carrying the ball, anyway. Brewster finds a hole off the right side and gains 12 down to the 4 yard line. We call the same play, this time with two tight ends instead of one, and Brewster plunges in for his second touchdown of the day!

TOUCHDOWN, TENNESSEE!!

Alston adds the extra point! Rocky Top is home sweet home for me.

7:15 left in the 1st quarter; Tennessee 14, Florida 0.