View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 01:16 PM   #32
Franklinnoble
Banned

San Diego
February, 2013

Franklin was going over scouting reports in his office when his phone rang. It was Russell Winston. "What's up, Russell?"

"Well, it looks like we might want to find a new offensive coordinator." All of his front office staff was at the end of their contracts. Lead scout Brenden Walsh had re-signed, as had head coack Russell Feingold, but defensive coordinator Dominic Swiney had already been hired away to be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. The Chargers had replaced him with Norman Burnett, who had served in the same capacity last season for the Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

"Why is that? I didn't think there were any other head coaching jobs available." Bennie Blackwell was currently the Chargers offensive coordinator, but hadn't liked any of the offers he had received right after San Diego lost in the first round of the playoffs to Indianapolis, and he was expected to stick around.

"His agent tells me San Francisco wants to talk to him."

"They don't need permission if they're interviewing him to be head coach."

"They're not - they want to give Dan McKenzie one more year there, but they want a new offensive coordinator to help him out."

"Is Blackwell interested?" He couldn't imagine why. San Francisco had been woeful the last few years.

"He is. I think he wants a head coaching job, and he figures he hasn't gotten enough credit for helping out here. If he can help turn the 'Niners around, he'll be a hot prospect."

Franklin nodded. "OK, let him go. We've already prepared for that contingency anyway. I'll call Feingold and let him know. He was going to promote Deron Cathey from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator if Blackwell left, anyway, so we'll just do that."

A few new staff members wouldn't hurt, and they were less expensive than their predecessors - which only helped offset the hefty raise that Feingold earned.

The Chargers had a lot of cap space to clear, and needed to improve their defensive secondary in the offseason. Franklin went back to his scouting reports. Indianapolis 500's QB Chad Pennington had picked apart the Chargers secondary in the Wild Card round of the playoffs last season, and their best pass rusher, DE Justin Smith, had just retired. Hopefully some help could be found in the draft, as the team had little hope of being able to afford any free agents.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote