View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #215
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytic
It's still all about fucking midfield and that is total bullshit. I've played the game of soccer for 20 whole years now. I've won many games with no midfield advantage.

I've had the best fucking defense day in and day out, yet I have more goals against than most. I have awesome counter attacks, which should equal what a midfield is I.E. Brilliant Counter attack should be more effective than an Outstanding midfield. Midfied is just that MIDFIELD... Last I checked their isn't any stupid goal posts at midfield.

This game has become less and less fun by the week. The thought that CA would fix some of the midfield issues peaked my interest again. I put tons of money I could have spent on midfielders towards defenders with passing to train. For NOTHING.

When I played in high school, it almost always seemed to be a function of who had a better defense. The midfield was handy and we had an awesome stopper on our team (we played with a stopper and sweeper with 2 wingbacks)- his stamina and playmaking helped control the midfield more than anything the middies did. However, it really came down to whether those of us on the back line did our job (I was either wingback or sweeper depending on which side of the bed coach woke up on). If we could break up the opposing teams attack by anticipating passes, keeping guys covered, and good isolation, then we could really feed the middies and strikers and that's what got the offense going more than anything. Midfield was more of an afterthought- where you put the guys who can run but weren't really skilled enough to defend (tactics and a booming leg) or attack (raw dribbling and shooting skills). And, while possession was important, you don't need a lot of possession to make a nice clearing pass to a middie, have him send a nice lob up over the defense or crossing pass, and then have a striker put a move or two on the defense or pass and have another striker put it in.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote