View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 PM   #10
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

“Marty, I need to thank you for all the hard work that you put into the team last season. You are the reason that we were able to make the playoffs last year. It was a huge year for you and I think that you will continue to light up the NFL. But Marty, our budget for this year has been drastically cut. You are set to make $7,000,000. That is by far the highest salary on the team. We were wondering if you would be willing to restructure your contract a bit.”

“A bit? What, are you talking about spreading the payments out over several years?”

“Well actually, management thinks that Tim Peal may be ready to step in at RB, and he only costs us 1,000,000. If you would just be willing to drop 5 million off of your salary I think we can work something out.

“WHAT!!!! I JUST SET AN NFL RECORD FOR MOST RUSHING YARDS IN A SEASON, I HELP THIS TEAM MAKE $50,000,000. AND YOU INSULT ME BY ASKING ME TO TAKE A 70% PAY CUT? ARE YOU INSANE! I MADE THIS TEAM IF YOU LET ME GO, YOU WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN 4 GAMES! PEAL MAY BE A FINE RUNNING BACK, BUT HE WILL NEVER BE HALF THE BACK THAT I HAVE BEEN!”

“I am sorry that you feel that way Marty. You have to understand that this comes from above us. Walters has instructed us that we need to cut salary, and yours is the best way for us to do so. Please reconsider. Heck you make far more than that from endorsements anyway.”

“I am out of here!”

And with that Marty Gage’s name is added to the expansion draft. He will likely be one of the early picks in the draft by someone who is looking for a quality running back with plenty of experiance, though it will cost a pretty penny to get him.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote