View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #131
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The crowd here at Scott Field is louder than it has been all game as the kickoff floats deep into the endzone. Moser downs the ball for a touchback.

The Volunteer offense heads out onto the field, hoping to protect their slim seven point lead.

I come out throwing, despite my lack of success this half. I hit Castleberry over the middle on a deep post for 14 to get things rolling.

Two carries over right guard for Brewster net us 4 and 3 yards, and makes it 3rd and 3 at the UT41 yard line. A quick slant to Castleberry gains 9 and the coveted first down.

Brewster gains 3 off a trap up the middle, but I'm more concerned that Everett has to limp off the field. We send Brewster over right guard next, but he's stopped at the line for no gain.

Third down and we go to the play action. Prescott makes a crucial catch and makes the first down by three yards. First down, Tennessee, at the MSU37.

Brewster heads off the field and in comes Mason. We run option left and the defense strings us out. The defense finally forces me to pitch and Mason cuts upfield, but there's no one there to stop him. Mason sprints down the sideline 25 yards until a safety finally pushes him out of bounds! First down, Tennessee!

Mason stays in and we go with option left again. This time the defense flies to Mason and I turn the ball upfield. I see the endzone, I smell the endzone, but I'm stopped short by 5 yards.

2nd and 3 at the 5 yard line, and Mason takes a pitch around right end for a touchdown! Alston adds the extra point, and the crowd is silenced.

With 6:01 left in the game, it's 17-3 Tennessee. The MSU hope of an upset has most likely ended.