View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #122
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Bulldogs go 3 and out again, but a booming 58 yard punt goes out of bounds at the UT15 with 3:51 left in the half.

Brewster gets a carry, but is stopped for no gain. Another carry over left guard nets 8. 3rd and 2, and we call a sweep play for Brewster, which gains the 2 yards we need.

1st and 10 and Brewster gains 9 on a toss play, but it's called back for holding; an 11 yard penalty. We throw on first down and it's tipped away from Everett. 2nd down and we run the reverse with Castleberry again. It works wonderfully. Castleberry gets 22; just past the first down marker with 1:20 left in the half.

We're on the UT36, and the call is option left. I tell the offense we'll go on the hard count this time, and MSU jumps offside. 5 free yards to the UT41. We run option left, but Brewster is smothered again and I can only gain a yard.

2nd and 4 with 1:01 left, and the call is for fade routes. Everett is double covered, but I try to force the ball in anway. It's knocked down at the line, fortunately.

3rd and 4, and Mason converts a screen pass into a 5 yard gain and a first down. I get the referee's attention and call time out quickly.

1st and 10 with 42 seconds left in the half. We discuss the next play on the sideline. We'll look for Witt over the middle. Back on the field; Witt's open on the play and I feed him the ball, but somehow he drops it.

2nd and 10; 35 seconds in the half at the UT47. It's not looking good for us. We give the ball to Brewster, hoping to surprise the defense. It works, and J.B. gets 12 before falling. As he tries to get up, he's slammed back to the ground and a flag flies in: Personal foul against MSU. With the penalty, we get the ball at the Bulldog 26 with 27 seconds left in the half.

We decide to play it safe and move the ball to midfield with two carries (followed by time outs) by Brewster for 3 yards a piece. It sets up a 34 yard FG attempt by Alston, who converts the attempt to give UT a 10-0 lead with 2 seconds left in the half.

We have to kick off, despite the time, and Alston kicks it short to the 4. The returner fumbles the ball and it's recovered by the UT coverage unit...but time has expired.

At the half, it's UT 10, MSU 0.