View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #118
Poli
FOFC Survivor

On the sideline I talk to the offensive coordinator about our last drive. 5 plays, 3 passes, 2 runs. Not good. Not good at all. We need to get the ball to Brewster. We did, once. Loss of 2. I'm concerned that MSU is forcing me to win this game; they went all out to stop Brewster on our option play.

I'm told to buckle up, because we're heading right back out. MSU went 3 and out. A short punt and 5 yard return by CB Marc Billmaier gives us a first down at the Mississippi State 34 yard line with 4:21 left in the first quarter. We need to score from here.

The play call is a drop back pass with Everett and Witt running slants and the backs going to the flats. I drop back but I'm flushed from the pocket and unload quickly to Prescott. I miss him completely thanks to the pressure and it's 2nd down.

We motion Brewster out of the I and send him into the slot beside Everett on 2nd down. He runs a post pattern and I hit him for a 10 yard gain before he's taken down. 1st down, good guys.

Option right is the next call and again the defense over compensates for Brewster. This time, however, I can only gain a yard as the defense was all over me. 2nd down and I hit a wide open Everett on an out pattern, but Steven drops the ball. To my knowledge, my first pass that's been dropped. 3rd down and 9, I find Witt over the middle, who rumbles forward. He barely crosses the marker with a 10 yard gain.

1st and 10 on the MSU13, and we run a trap up the middle to Brewster for no gain. On 2nd down we motion Brewster out of the backfield into the slot again. I pump fake to Brewster as he goes across the middle and the defense bites. Brewster spins around, running the post corner route, and I find him just inside the endzone for a touchdown.

Touchdown, Tennessee!

Alston adds the extra point.

7-0 UT with 2:13 left in the first quarter.