View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 10:11 AM   #117
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Beautiful weather in Starksville, and a sold out stadium to boot. It'll be a great day for football.

We lose the coin toss again and Mississippi State elects to receive. K Ray Alston sends the ball down to the 1, and it's returned to the 28. In on the tackle was my roommate, Aaron Moser. Moser is a walk on just like me, so it's great to see him playing on special teams.

MSU comes out on fire and everyone on the sideline is stunned. Runs, passes, whatever. Everything working well for the cause of the Bulldogs. Our best corner and returner Bart Serra went down with what appears to be a serious injury after one completion. That is really going to hurt.

The Bulldogs drive all the way downfield to our 1 yard line. Coach Fulmer sends out our goal line defense and the team responds. Back to back 3 yard losses on running plays makes it 3rd and 7. The MSU is hit as he throws the ball, and MLB Mitch Briggs of Stone Mountain, GA grabs the ball in the endzone. Touchback, and the Vols have somehow denied the MSU offense.

Wow, that's all I can think as I buckle up the chinstrap and head out onto the field with half the 1st quarter over (7:37 left in the first).

Once again Coach Fulmer wants us to bait the defense into thinking dive on the first play. The first play is a fake to FB Roman Prescott. I scan the defense, it's a 50. We had success against it last week, hopefully we will today as well.

Prescott plunges forward and I look deep downfield to WR Steven Everett. He's not open so I dump it off to RB J.B. Brewster for 10 yards and the first.

So far, so good.

The next play is option left. The Bulldogs over compensate for Brewster and leave me alone. I cut upfield behind TE Dominic Witt's massive block and gain 11 before being tackled. 1st down UT at the UT41.

Play action off the dive again and this time the ball goes out to Prescott in the flat. It's good for 9 yards. We send Brewster over right tackle on the next play, but he loses 2 yards.

What do we always do when a team stops a running play? Play action. We run play action from the off tackle play...looking for Prescott again. I find him in the flat and throw it out there...but it's tipped away. It sets up a 4th and 3 at the UT48 and the punt team comes onto the field.

Wheeler gets off a wicked punt. A 46 yard punt to the MSU6, and the returner dances around, only to be dropped for a yard loss.

0-0 with 5:41 left in the 1st quarter.