View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

San Diego
August, 2008

Franklin sat at the top of the bleachers overlooking one of the Chargers practice fields. The offense was running passing drills, and coach Feingold had asked Franklin to come out and watch.

Feingold climbed the bleachers and approached Franklin. "Well, Mr. Brown, what do you think?"

"You're the coach, you tell me. I think they look great, but I thought Seneca Wallace looked great, too." Wallace was now a backup QB for the Jaguars, and hadn't played a down since San Diego had traded him at the end of the 2005 season.

"Well, we might have a small problem."

"What's that?"

"I don't think Alvin Lane is the best quarterback on this team right now."

Franklin raised an eyebrown. He had heard that Derek Williams was lighting it up in camp, and was doing well in pre-season, but he hadn't expected to hear this on the eve of the season opener. "Lane was rookie of the year last season. You think Williams can do better?"

"Derek's timing is a little off - not unusual for a rookie - but overall, he throws the ball better than Alvin does. I think he's really much better than anyone expected, and it looks like we got a steal in getting him late in the second round."

Franklin nodded. "Coach, I don't care either way. I want to win. You play whoever you think gives us the best shot."

"Fair enough. I think Lane will start, just because he has more experience. But don't be surprised if I have a short hook on him." Feingold got up and walked off.

Franklin pondered the irony of the situation. The team was built around Alvin Lane, and now it looked like the quarterback they took a chance on in the second round might be the one to lead the squad after all.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote