View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #101
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Alston places the kickoff in the endzone, but this time the returner brings the ball out to the NU22.

Wow, their best field position.

This time I get to thank Briggs for the turnover before he heads out, and then I quickly head back over to the offensive coordinator.

NU goes 3 and out, but delivers a good punt. CB Bart Serra returns the punt 10 yards to the UT34; our worst field position of the game, with 7:02 on the clock.

Our first play of the drive is a bit of a trick play; a screen pass to the TE Witt. It works, sort of, for a gain of 2, but I'm leveled after the play and FB Roman Prescott has to help me up off the ground. The cheer that results isn't because I got up, but from the late flag from the referee. A late hit penalty puts the ball on the Northwestern 49.

Coach calls for a pass; a post pattern by Witt specifically. The ball is tipped away, as their safety makes a good play. Second down and we go option right. Brewster takes the pitch down the sideline for a gain of 5 to the NU44. Third and 5, and we get 8 on a trap off the right side.

It worked well, so we run a trap up the middle on first down, but only get a yard. You know what is coming. Play action. This time to the FB Willie Jordan, who gets the needed 9 yards for a 1st down at the NU 26.

Option right is the play called and the DE crashes down on me. A quick pitch to Brewster should get us solid yards, but instead J.B. slips on the grass and is stopped for a loss of 2. Dang it. Second down and Coach Fulmer calls for a fade to the endzone. Witt and Everett go to opposite ends and I lob the ball to Everett. Everett fights for the ball and makes the catch in the endzone, Touchdown Tennessee!

Alston adds the extra point.

21-0 UT with 4:00 left in the 1st quarter.

3 touchdowns in the 11 minutes. Wow.