View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #99
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As in defense. This is not what we prepared for.

The 50 defense is a good run defending option, although it's not as good as the 8 man. The 50 gives you five down linemen, but typically the two outside linemen are stand up linebackers. It provides a little more flexibility in coverages. Maybe they're afraid of my weak arm after watching the Syracuse game.

I'm not allowed to call audibles yet; but it doesn't mean I can't wait to snap the ball.

I take a step away from our center Peters, and look over the defense. This will throw a wrench in our plans until we figure out a way to counter this change.

With about 5 seconds left on the play clock, I take the snap and fake to Brewster. The fake is effective, and I turn upfield with the ball in my belly. G Washington paves the way and I am dropped 6 yards downfield at the NU11.

Castleberry brings in the play, a dive to RB J.B. Brewster, and I tell everyone we're going to try and buy some time and go with the hard count. The play is on three. It works like a charm; a NU defender was anxious and jumped offsides.

1st and goal at the 6, and this time we run the dive on 1. Northwestern creates an effective pile and we end up with no gain.

2nd and goal and the play called is an option left. NU strings us out, and I pitch to Brewster late. Brewster finds a hole and cuts upfield for the touchdown! The G Raymond had pulled on the play and created the hole.

Alston adds the extra point, and it's 7-0 UT with 12:26 left in the first quarter.