View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

San Diego
August, 2005

Franklin relaxed in the plush leather recliner in his owner's box at Qualcomm Stadium. He was expecting Russell Winston and Gene Perkins to join him in just a few minutes, as the Chargers prepared to kick off another preseason.

Winston arrived first, and greeted him. "How's it going, Franklin?"

"Not bad, Russell. I don't expect much more of this year's squad than last year's, but if the money's there, we might have a little room for improvement next season."

"Let's hope so. I don't want to sit through another year at 1-15."

Perkins arrived, and greeted the two men. He handed Franklin a three-page report. "Season ticket sales. Down again from last year."

Franklin looked over the report. They had only sold 37,900 season tickets. "Well, that's to be expected. The team sucks, and the new ballpark is still five years away. Hopefully we cut enough salary to make up the difference."

Perkins replied. "I think so. We're over $50 million under the cap this year, and that's after you subtract $8.5 million in dead money. We'll have at least another $7.4 million in dead money next year, too. Honestly, we can't field a football team for any less."

Franklin nodded. "We're hardly fielding a real team now. Like I was just telling Russell, if the budget works out, I'm hoping to spend a little more next year. The new stadium deal is going to eventually increase the value of the franchise, and that should improve our credit rating as well. I don't want to have to borrow more money to pay off Triveri, but the fact is, we're going nowhere if we don't get a top-notch quarterback in the near future. Wallace doesn't seem like he's gonna cut it."

Winston replied. "He's got two years left on his contract, and right now, it's a very cheap contract."

Franklin nodded, "I know, but if we don't find someone better before his deal is up, and he doesn't turn into an all-pro, we're letting him go."

Winston added, "You know, he doesn't have much to work with out there."

Franklin replied, "I know that, but I'm not paying top-dollar to a QB unless he's the kind of player that can carry a bad team like this. He might improve, but if not, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere."

Franklin turned his attention to the field, and the half-empty stands. All it would take now is patience.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote