View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

San Diego
February, 2004

The Chargers had finished the season at 4-12, which was tied for third worst in the league. The only individual standout performances on the team came from DE Macellus Wiley, who had 17.5 sacks (but probably wouldn't stay with the team much longer, as his contract becomes very cap heavy next year), and WR David Boston, who had 81 catches for 1267 yards.

Franklin had just returned from the Super Bowl in Houston (one of the perks of being an NFL owner), where the Chiefs had defeated the Eagles 21-10. It was now time for the year-end audit of the Chargers financial situation.

The Chargers had generated total revenues of just over $81 million. their total expenses were just over $48 million, leaving them with a profit of $33 million - just enough to pay off Triveri for the year and put a little in the bank. Franklin addressed the meeting he had called with Winston and Perkins.

"Well, that's good, but it will have to improve. We'll need to continue to be frugal, but I think we might have enough for some modest signing bonuses this year."

Perkins spoke up. "We have $18 million in cap space, and we expect our current draft picks to cost around $6 million to sign."

"Then we're dumping some draft picks. We need to reduce the cap number again. That was the only thing that let us hit our profitability mark this year."

Winston asked, "How about asking for a new stadium? Or at least a renovation?"

Franklin replied, "I can't do that. It's bad enough I've got to raise ticket prices after a 4-12 year - I can't ask for public money for a ballpark, and we have nothing to make a stadium payment with."

Winston nodded. "Alright. So, any idea who we're going to lose?"

Franklin shook his head. "I don't know - but I have a feeling anybody who had a good year last year is gone. It doesn't look good. We may well reach the point of putting nothing on the field but undrafted rookies, with perhaps a few key veterans with low salaries."

The mood in the room was grim as the meeting adjourned. Who would pay to watch such a poor team?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote