View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Arrow Combat Mission II: Interactive Dynasty

This is an interactive dynasty using the game Combat Mission II and the various FOFC members listed below as participants. Feel free to comment and ask questions. If you'd like to be added to the waiting list, drop me a PM or post here.

= = = = = = = = = =

The FOFC Battle Group:

(4) Pz-IIIH medium tanks [2 Coffee Warlord, 2 blade6119]1 knocked out
(4) Pz-IVD medium tanks [2 SirFozzie, 2 Tasan]
(4) PSW 222 armored cars [sachmo71]2 knocked out
(2) Sturmgeschütz IIIb assault guns [kingfc22]]1 knocked out
(2) Panzerjäger I tank-hunters [Travis]]1 knocked out
(1) Infantry Company [DataKing = company commander], consisting of:
a. HQ, Section Commander, 2 HMGs
b. (3) Infantry platoons, each consisting of HQ, 3 squads, 50mm mortar [Blade, Calis, samifan24]]Blade's platoon roughed up
(1) Pioneer (engineer) Platoon, consisting of HQ, 6 squads, 3 flamethrowers, 7 halftracks [RealDeal, GoldenEagle, Qwikshot]]1 halftrack knocked out
(3) 81mm mortar teams [MrBug708]
(8) Halftracks [4 DataKing, 4 The Afoci]

= = = = = = = = = = = =

It is late June, 1941. Elements of the 11th Panzer Division, part of von Kleist’s 1st Panzer Group in Army Group South, strike eastward into Russia…

= = = = = = = = = = = =

The Random Draw:
By random selection, we drew an Axis probe in farmland with moderate tree coverage and slightly rolling terrain. There has been some moderate prior combat (shell holes and such). “Axis Probe” means the objectives are on the Russian side of the map and the force strengths are relatively equal, but the enemy units will not be entrenched.

In addition to the units you guys have, I acquired an artillery spotter (105mm) and some tactical air support. The air support (Stuka dive-bomber and strafing Me-109) is not under our control, but the artillery is. Feel free to request some as the need arises. It’s best if the spotter has a line-of-sight to the target, and then it takes 2-3 minutes to arrive, so keep those two things in mind.

Map:
I’ve captured some overhead images of the map, but it might be tricky piecing things together due to the sizes. First, take a look at the overall view.

North is the left map edge, we approach from the west (bottom) edge, and the Russians from the east (top) edge. The gray [ ? ] flags are the objectives of our probe. The (4) large ones are worth more victory points than the (3) small ones. Most of the objectives are wooded areas.

Note that there is a gray road cutting down the left-middle of the map. Nice for moving quickly, but the Russians will know that, too.

Now the interesting part. The terrain is gently rolling, which shields our advance but also shields the Russians. This could be wild! I’ve taken a ground-level view from just inside our start-up area (the large rectangular green box across the west edge), looking up the road, to give you an idea.

You panzer boys will want to use that terrain for hull-down positions (where you can peak over the crest without fully exposing yourselves).

The bulk of the map is covered by stands of trees, wheat fields (the tan patches), a few scattered buildings, and a few other features (ponds, rock outcroppings, etc.).

Then we’ve got a zoomed in north map and south map. Note that the perspective has rotated 90 degrees from the overall view.

North:

South:

There is a strip of map on the south edge that I did not include, but it is more of the same.

Set-up:

We’ve got what amounts to a battalion-strength battle group. There is no overall commander, so cooperation between the various forces will be dependent on you guys. DataKing is the company commander of the regular infantry, with Blade, Calis, and Samifan24 in charge of his three platoons, and blade6119 in command of his heavy machine gun section (this is a necessary change due to the way the unit points played out – I hope that’s cool, blade6119!). Sachmo71 is platoon commander of his four armored cars (their command range is excellent, by the way, approximately 450 meters, which means your ACs can roam a bit without losing command contact). The Afoci is platoon commander for his four halftracks (with 37mm guns), which also have a good command range. Qwikshot is platoon commander of the pioneers, with RealDeal and GoldenEagle commanding sections under his command. The rest of you have individual control over your units, which means they move independently of command (a positive thing), but also don’t have a commander to benefit from (a negative).

The engineers are mounted in their own halftracks. I’ve got the regular infantry tentatively mounted on the tanks (Pz-IIIh & Pz-IVd) and in tucker342’s halftracks, BUT we need to keep in mind that if/when the tanks start to split up this will force the infantry apart as well (which hurts in terms of command & control). DataKing and the tank commanders might want to discuss this before we start. They don’t have to ride in on the tanks, but let me know.

DataKing, blade6119, and his HMGs are in two trucks. MrBug’s mortars as well as the artillery spotter are riding in The Afoci’s halftracks.

Okay, for starters, everyone please discuss amongst yourselves how you wish to deploy. I will adjudicate things in the final decision but I’d like as much input/interaction from you guys as possible without dragging the game down. Also, feel free to ask any questions about armaments, tactics, game mechanics, whatever.

We’re goin’ in, boys!!!

Last edited by WSUCougar : 02-28-2004 at 03:09 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote