View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #85
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
What made CART so great? I love that series in the heyday. Long Beach, Indy, Cleveland, ect. Can a CART-like series exist anymore, or a start-up with the same idea compete?

A startup series isn't the answer now. Up until last week, I was behind a merger, now I'm really not sure with the crap Tony George was pulling this week. This would be the ideal merger....
  • One series that races both on Oval and Road/Street courses. A healthy mix of maybe 8 ovals and 12 road/street courses would work for me. Only the strong survive. If your event doesn't draw, we don't renew your contract.
  • Tony George has no part in running the day-to-day operation.....
  • A non-team owner needs to be put in the position of CEO
  • The cars need to be safe. The crapwagon's aren't cutting it.
  • 28 car fields with the exception of Indy which gets their 33. If there's more then 28 cars at an event, let's make qualifying count with only the top 28 getting into the race.
  • Use CART's scoring. You shouldn't receive points for just showing up.
  • Promote American drivers. If assistance is given to some owners, (as is happening in both CART/IRL now) persuade them to put an American in the car. Having said that, the International rivalry is important too. Ideally, I'd like to see a minimum of 8 to 10 Americans for each race.
  • A better television package that anything CART/IRL have now.

That's off the top of my head..... I'm sure I'll have more to add later....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Also, what's the deal with Formula One? Have they fallen alittle as well? Isn't their rumor a new series to challenge them? Also, why are they not on tv anymore, and is success in the states rising with the addition of Indy? Why do they not run ovals at all?

Formula 1 won't be bigger in America, until they get an American driver in the field. The Indy attendance has gone down year by year. I'm not a fan of the track setup that they use there, but that is one race I'd like to see in person. They don't run ovals because their smart. Ovals are mostly only popular in the US and the risk of injury is so much greater. I believe there is the ASCAR series in Europe that runs ovals, but that's about it.

Last edited by TLK : 01-16-2004 at 07:45 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote