View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

In the locker room after the game, Coach Fulmer awards me with the game ball. I don't know what to say. I felt Brewster or Everett were probably more deserving.

The flight home was sweet. I was "floating" on cloud nine. It's hard not to let this success get to my head. I know I really am only as good as my teammates, and if I was on any team but UT right now and in a similar situation, I probably wouldn't be very successful.

Sunday rolled around and this time I wasn't just sore. This time I was beaten, scuffed up, and sore. Still being 2-0 when everyone expects you to lose...you can't beat that.

Viewing the tape on Sunday it was clear that Syracuse was focused on stopping the run and play action pass. We ran it at them quite a bit during the whole game. Once we realized that play action just wasn't going to work, we went with a 3 and 5 step passing game when we need to and got most of our yards for the game. I knew going in that Syracuse's defensive backfield was their weakest link, but I didn't think I'd have that great of a game against them.

What surprised me was Syracuse's play in the middle. Time after time we plunged in the middle expecting them to be soft with rather inexperienced players there. We were stuffed on most occassions.

It's an off week for the team, so we'll do some conditioning, but we won't get ready for Northwestern for a while. Regardless, I"ll be watching tape of the Wildcats for the next two weeks.

Later in the week, I'm totally shocked to see my photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

"Walk On: Ardent Enthustiast Leads Vols past Syracuse" is the caption as it shows me throwing the ball.

Everywhere I go now, fans are asking me to sign their copy. Never in a million years would I have guessed this would happen.

Northwestern is a horrible team this year. 0-1 for the season, and they were scrubbed by Georgia Tech, 45-15. Tech ran over 40 times for 190 yards in the game, and I'm sure Coach Fulmer is ready to carve up the defense with J.B. Brewster. Heck, Mason may get a hundred before the game is over.

Northwestern didn't stop the pass, either. They allowed 300 in the air, and the 3rd completion % against the defense was 50%. I like the looks of these numbers.

They do however, play Duke this weekend, so maybe their team will turn it around. Northwestern is ranked 105 overall.