View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 09:52 AM   #73
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Once again we watch in fear from the sideline as Syracuse apparently has found a weak spot in our defense. We try everything we can, but nothing we can do stops them.

Syracuse drives the ball down the field for the touchdown, retaking the lead.

With 7:10 left in the 4th; Syracuse 17, Tennessee 13.

After a touchback on the kickoff, the Tennessee offense takes over on the 20.

A pass to Prescott in the flat nets 12 and a first down; but an option gone wrong results in a yard loss for Brewster. We turn it around with an option left. Brewster cuts upfield quickly with ball and gets 7 before being tackled.

3rd and 4 from the UT38. Another pass out to the reliable Prescott in the flat results in a gain of 10 and another critical first down.

We continue our assault on the Syracuse offense, running and passing; eating up as much of the clock as humanly possible and hoping to exploit something in the defense to get a touchdown.

An option left nets 2 for Brewster, followed by a 11 yard catch on a curl pattern by Everett to the Syracuse 39.

A counter play for Brewster results in no gain, but Mason gets 9 on a flat pass. 3rd and 1, and we run an option to the right side. Brewster takes the pitch and lunges forward. It's close, and I think we got it, but the referees are going to have to measure it.

I watch in disbelief as we fall a few chain links short of the first. 4th and chain links, and I signal to the coaches just how far we have to go. With the ball on the 30 and just over 3 minutes left, there is no choice. We have to go for it.

Brewster gets the call, right up the gut, and he responds. He breaks a tackle at the line and surges forward, with a gaggle of defenders on top of him. He finally topples over at the 25.

It worked so well, we try to move the ball up the middle two more times with Brewster but the defense responds to the challenge and it's 3rd and 10. Syracuse sends out their defensive backs for a nickel defense.

A pass to a wide open Castleberry which would have resulted in a first down is underthrown, and I look to the sideline for help. It's 4th and 10. We don't get this and it's over.

Syracuse sends out another DB to get into a dime coverage, and backs the defenders way off. We're lined up in a bunch look on the right side.

Everett gets clear of the other two receivers, rubbing off his defender as he cuts across the field. I hit him in stride as he crosses the first down marker and he gets 10 more before being stopped!

First and goal at the 5! I did it, I did it! WOW!!!

Back to the Power I and back to an 8 man front for Syracuse. We go for a fade on the first play to Everett, and he catches the ball in the corner of the endzone with the defender draped all over him. Touchdown, Tennessee!

The crowd is silent as the Tennessee players celebrate. Alston kicks the XP, but there is plenty of time left on the clock.

With 1:16 left in the game; Tennessee 20, Syracuse 17.