View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #68
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Syracuse gets the ball first in the second half, and the defense responded to Coach Fulmer's words at half time. Syracuse is forced to punt after 3 plays, and the ball rolls out of bounds at the UT 43 with 13:12 left in the third quarter.

Great field position for the Vols; we need to capitalize here.

We run an option left on the first play, and Syracuse smothers Brewster. I turn it upfield and get 2 yards before getting dropped. We turn it around and run the option to the right. This time I pitch to Brewster, but this time he loses 2 yards.

3rd and 10; we motion Prescott out of the backfield and throw the ball to him on a slant pattern. It works perfectly, and he gains 15 yards before going down at the Syracuse 42. First down!

We give the ball to Brewster on a counter play to the left side for 2, and then a screen to the freshman Watson for 8 gives us another first. An option to the left gets us another first as Brewster takes the pitch and gets 10.

1st and 10 on the Syracuse 22, and we run the option left again, this time with Watson for 3. On second down, we try play action to Everett, but the play is broken up. 3rd down and 7, we run the ball off tackle to set the ball in a better spot for the kicker Alston. We gain 2, putting the ball at midfield on the Syracuse 17.

I watch from the sideline as Alston misses wide right and the FG unit returns down trodden. My heart sinks (ed note: and it did when I simmed the game).

With 8:30 left in the 3rd quarter; Syracuse 7, Tennessee 6.