View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #56
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The captains return from midfield with the news that we have won the toss (again) and elected to receive (again). Note to self: Talk to coach about this "going on offense first" thing. Perhaps I've dazzled him with my stats and he's forgotten I'm a walk on.

The kickoff is a touchback and the starting O heads onto the field. This time, we stick with what was predetermined: HB dive featuring J.B. Brewster. A lineman slips through and drops Brewster for a 2 yard loss, though. The call from the sideline is to run the play again; we do, and this time get a 2 yard gain.

3rd and 10 from the UT20, and we've called an option to the right, with a long count. Syracuse jumps offside and we get five free yards. We change the play to a play action pass designed for WR Castleberry, but I float the ball, and the Syracuse DB swats the ball away with ease.

Wheeler comes out and punts the ball away; a very good 51 yard punt, SI. The return gives Syracuse the ball at the S33, with 13:30 left to play in the first quarter.

Syracuse can't muster offense on their first drive either; going 3 and out. The punt is fair catched at the UT34 by CB Serra, with 11:08 left in the first quarter.

Looks like we're in for a smash mouth slugfest today. Syracuse came out with the 8 man fronts similar to Cal; but the results were obviously different.