View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #54
Poli
FOFC Survivor

During the week, we find out that our matchup has been chosen for ESPN Gameday's Game of the Week, and we'll be shown on National Television, "TV1".

We stay ranked 5th, while Syracuse has leapfrogged in bounds to 7th. I'm not a betting man, but I'm told the line is actually for Syracuse by 3.

Syracuse ran a 3-4 against Southern Mississippi, but we expect more 8 man fronts like Cal ran against us. We look to run a little more inside because of this. We're likely to face a weaker front if they do that.

Further review of the game film shows that Syracuse, despite the interceptions, has a fairly weak secondary. Southern Miss just failed to capitalize on their mistakes. Not that I'm blessed with a golden arm, but we hope to take a few shots against them. The linebackers are perhaps the best unit on the team, while apparently the defensive line is anchored by a stud DE. We've paid special attention to him in our blocking schemes this week.

Our game plan remains the same. Get the ball to J.B. We're looking to run a little more option, with emphasis on pitching the ball. We're also trying to get Watson involved a little more. He'll be the man next season at tailback, after all. Of course, we have our screens and play action passes sprinkled in, along with very few actual drop back passes.

We've junked most of our trick plays for this week, since we figure Syracuse to be more disciplined than Cal, but Coach Fulmer kept the option reverse and TE reverse in the game plan; just in case.