View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cal is blessed by my turnover with their best field position of the game, but the defense denies them anything.

3 and out, and Cal sends out the punt team again. Serra has a nice return but is tackled at the UT26.

On first down, we run a play action pass, and it works for 3 yards, but we're called for holding...and we're marked off a rare 11 yards.

So now, we're at the UT15, 1st and 21. Coach Fulmer sends Castleberry in for Everett, and we're going over the top.

"Power I right, split left, fade and post on 1, ready, break"

No fakes. Just a lob to the deep guy.

Cal lines up 8 in the box, and it appears to be bump and run on the outside, which is exactly what we want.

Ball is snapped and all the backs behind me stay into block. Castleberry takes his man deep and I lob the ball out to him.

Complete for 29! Castleberry starts to go down immediately, but the corner strips the ball from him. Both players are on the ground as the ball rolls toward midfield.

The safety covering Witt runs over to scoop the ball up but can't find the handle. Witt has the ball bounce right into his belly and starts rumbling, stumbling, and tumbling to the endzone. the safety nearly trips over himself at what he's seen and hits Witt almost half heartedly. Witt spins and bounces off the tackle with lineman ease. With what seems like 15 seconds later, Witt scores on the return.

Perhaps the happiest man on the field is Castleberry.

The extra point gives us a 37-0 lead with 4:43 left in the half.