View Single Post
Old 05-17-2024, 11:50 AM   #820
cuervo72
Head Coach

Best of luck, Jim -- you're probably not wrong about the middle-aged computer geek point.

--------

I actually had a dream last night that I was a contestant, though it was in a studio which was some sort of 1970s abandoned house/museum, (a much younger) Trebek was there, and I started out as someone who was assisting in the games first. When I woke up I was finally about to get my shot, against a champion who had won an astounding $177k in their first game. LUCKY ME.

And that's still one of the worries I have about ever trying out again; I'd get my one shot (though these days I guess it's not necessarily just one) and run into a buzzsaw. I've improved, but is it enough? When is it enough? I mean, there's T.J. Tallie. He won a single game, came back, won one more in Champions Wildcard. This guy is in my LearnedLeague rundle -- and more often than not gets the best of me (I am 4-7-5 against him). He finished 60 of 786 in the last championship (I was...T297*). I know he is good. He only won 1+1.

There's also the never ending worry that I'd just choke. I don't do well in front of crowds. I'm not sure THAT is ever going away.

* Other J! notables (I'm sure I'm missing some):

T. Meyer - 5th
V. Groce - 6th
P. Mueller - 14th
M. Jackson - 19th
Y. Raut - 45th
A. Schneider - 56th
J. Zuffranieri - 120th
M. Roach - 138th
B. Rutter - 205th
A. He - 259th

(It's worth noting that how the LL rounds operate, there can be a bit of noise in the standings -- you get more points for questions that fewer people get right -- IF you have the confidence to mark those as "money" questions. So there's a factor of judging what will be hard for others -- it's not just "most answers wins." The previous championship, Yogesh finished in 8th, two points ahead of both Victoria and Matt (just short of 1500). 4-time champion Troy finished 31st, the only time out of TEN he finished out of the top-10. I suspect we're going to see him on J! again.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 05-17-2024 at 12:01 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote